The secret of your own heart you can never know;
but you can know Him who knows its secret.
-George MacDonald

Friday, June 20, 2008

Happy Birthday West Virginia!


Yesterday evening my husband and I sat on the back deck watching my tall, burly 16 year old son, and his equally sized friend, toss the football back and forth, wrestle, and joke with each other. We were all enjoying the cool, clear evening. My son's friend, A., was wearing dress clothes left on from an appointment earlier in the day. His dress shirt was unbuttoned displaying a WVU Mountaineer t-shirt. A. has been known to proudly proclaim, "My family has lived in WV for generations." As the evening wore on, and my son and A. became tired, they proceeded to sit on the back swing filling up the entire seat with not an inch to spare. They rocked as if in a huge rocking chair, quietly talking. As they talked, A. turned up his I-pod for all to hear the song he was listening to ...."Almost Heaven, West Virginia....." West Virginians love their state -- all generations of them. Being a transplant, this is novel to me even after 20+ years. The loyalty and simplicity shown by A. was refreshing. So, West Virginia, have a wonderful birthday.

No comments: