The secret of your own heart you can never know;
but you can know Him who knows its secret.
-George MacDonald

Friday, October 17, 2008

Be Still and Know, Who is God


Worship grounds me again in the real world of God's creation, dislodging me from whatever world I have imagined for myself. I have come to believe that when we despair of praise, when the wonder of creation and our place in it are lost to us, it's often because we've lost sight of our true role as creatures-we have tried to do too much, pretending to be in such control of things that we are indispensable. It's a hedge against mortality...a kind of comfort in being busy. The danger is that we will come to feel too useful, so full of purpose and the necessity of fulfilling obligations that we lose sight of God's play with creation, and with ourselves.
-Kathleen Norris

No comments: