The secret of your own heart you can never know;
but you can know Him who knows its secret.
-George MacDonald

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reflections

Yesterday morning I walked outside in my yard. After all the rain we have had, the sky was absolutely beautiful. I think I was even more appreciative of the sun because of all the overcast and gloomy days we have seen this month. As I looked at the day I thought about how precious days like these are-there seem to be so few. It made me think of a passage in Lamentations. Life can be very difficult, even bitter at times. The worry-free seasons are few. It is comforting to read that throughout time others have had similiar experiences. Here is the passage from Lamentations that came to mind:

"I have been deprived of peace; I have forgotten what prosperity is. So I say, "My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the Lord.


I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:


Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.


They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.' The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;

(And as this little guy quietly reminded me -when I tripped over him!)
It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord." Lamentations 3:17-26








No comments: